1. It’s Wednesday, August 26, 2015.
2. We’ll know all the details in time. But as I write this, it’s still pretty freaking bewildering that a TV reporter and her cameraman can be shot in cold blood at a Virginia shopping mall. My heart goes out to their families and to their colleagues — who, in a good newsroom, are family, too.
3. It’s hard to understand this. But then, it’s hard to understand why someone would shoot up a Connecticut elementary school or a Colorado movie theater.
4. It’s the 95th anniversary of the ratification of the 20th Amendment of the Constitution, giving women the right of the vote. I wonder if Fabulous Donny Trump thinks this amendment won’t stand up in court, either.
5. I don’t go around thinking about myself as a white male. But every time sound emerges from Fabulous Donny Trump’s mouth, I feel as though I need to apologize to friends and acquaintances who aren’t white, male — and stupid, I shouldn’t forget stupid. His campaign to rid America of what I imagine he sees as the Hispanic scourge is just plain embarrassing.
6. On the one hand, when you look at the video, it seems inappropriate for Univision’s Jorge Ramos to interrupt Trump’s news conference the way he did. But here’s the thing: The people most affected by his diarrhea of the mouth on immigration are being stoked by Trump. They’re scared and they’re angry and this jackass, who was glad to take their money when they came to his gaudy casinos, refuses to address them in a meaningful way. I understand Mr. Ramos’ frustration.
7. The solution to this Trump problem is simple. Register Hispanic voters and make sure they get to the polls.
If you’re a conservative Hispanic, who disagrees with me on every issue except this, register as a Republican and drive this guy out in the primary.
If you’re a Hispanic who shares my liberal views of the world, register as a Democrat and make sure Trump or whoever carries the banner of the party than enabled him is routed in a way that’s historic.
As is the case with the millions of other immigrants who have come to this country for 239 years, there are innumerable ways the United States a far, far better place because of people from Mexico and the rest of Latin America.
I think immigrants from Latin America should stay. I think Fabulous Donny Trump should leave.