1. It’s Tuesday, June 30, 2015.
2. Today is the birthday of Tony Hatch, who wrote “Downtown” and other great songs for Petula Clark. You have to be a certain age to know what I’m talking about.
3. President Obama’s approval rating is at 50% for the first time in more than two years, according to the latest CNN/ORC poll. This has a lot to do with this, this, maybe this a little bit, and most definitely this.
But I think after 6-1/2 years of a presidency in which half the nation is rooting for him and the other half wants him to go back to his mosque in Kenya, it’s easy to imagine Obama shrugging off these numbers the way he has shrugged off ones that were not so good. His focus seems to be on doing the job he was elected to do by a majority of Americans casting votes. Twice.
4. Back in February, John Oliver unveiled Jeff, the Diseased Lung as a character to symbolize the tobacco industry. Today, The New York Times detailed the efforts that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is making around the world to crush anti-smoking movements. It’s reprehensible that something that’s supposed to promote America at its best is going 100 percent for the worst of all American businesses. Keep that — and Jeff — in mind when these people start talking about what’s best of small businesses.
5. Now that Donald Trump doesn’t have NBC to air “The Celebrity Apprentice” or the female-judging contests that seem more suited for livestock at a county fair than grown women, he’s probably looking for another media outlet.
Fabulous Donny could try to find another network for his schlock. But that must seem like groveling to someone as essential to life on earth as Fabulous Donny believes himself to be.
So the solution is pretty obvious.
It’s time to form TrumpEt, the all things Trump TV network that he imagines America and the world have been waiting since the day his little pink body first breathed life.
In the next few weeks, I will help Fabulous Donny develop programming for TrumpEt; I’m open to your ideas as well.
WHAT SONG IS PLAYING AS I FINISH THIS: It’s the inaptly named, but nonetheless wonderful “I Can’t Get Started” by Ben Webster.